[Stoves] What about carbonization? Re: Composting at 70 deg C ?

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:46:40 CDT 2011

On Monday 30 May 2011 14:59:15 Paul S. Anderson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Frank's original message was about creation of fixed carbon at low
> temperatures in a composting situation.  I think it cannot happen.
> Any comments?

I too don't think it can happen in a composting situation, I wonder if the
case which Frank cites is more a pickling, where the volatile solids are
respirated in low oxygen micro spaces and the pH drops to inhibit further
attack by bugs, silage and peat come to mind.

It is possible to carbonise something at low temperatures, pour
concentrated sulphuric acid onto paper as an an example.

AJH