[Stoves] Where is the Stove Comparison

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon May 30 20:33:19 CDT 2011

Dear Jan

Thanks for the reminder. It is not a large file.
It is a spreadsheet and a PDF with explanations and caveats. There could
always be more. Testing stoves is a messy business.

So, don't read too much into any particular test, though they were chose to
be representative of the technologies involved. It is expected that during
the next three years we will make improvements on all of them. The ignition
of the stoves involves 'technique' and as those skills are developed and
transferred, we expect even better performance.

You will see that two classes of stove, TLUD and Crossdraft, are
consistently performing well no makes who makes it. I have not been making
downdraft stoves for this market but will do so from July. That will bring
in another strong contender into the 99% reduction class.

It is not clearly stated that the stoves are developed for a particular fuel
(lignite from Nalaikh Mine). They can be adapted to any fuel as far as I
understand things. We are going to try goat dung during the coming year.
Dung burners: don't forget we are going to work out something for Central
Asia!

+++++++++

Crispin,

During March you said that a stove comparison of 17 different stoves falling
into one of the following four stove types was about to be issued:

Traditional bottom lit updraft
Crossdraft
Top lit updraft
Bottom lit downdraft

I haven't seen it anywhere.  Can you tell me when it is going to be issued,
or, if it already has been, where I can find it?

Jan Bianchi