[Stoves] Zambia TLUD project and other large TLUD projects

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:18:42 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

When I clicked on the link to Paal stove project there was a random image
that came up of a Protos vegetable oil stove. You can find it by looking at
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/en/node/1636

Have a look at the heating tube. It rises, coils a full turn then goes back
down.

In my experience boiling liquid fuels this should never be done this way and
may explain why they have so much accumulation of the bio-gunk inside the
pipe that needs to be cleaned out daily. Most interesting indeed. Is there
something about vegetable oils that is fundamentally difference from
paraffin that one would coil it like that?

The pipe should always rise so that liquids and drops are always drained
back to the source. If it does, you can get a balance between the
evaporation heat needed (just enough) and largely prevent the decomposition
of the fuel to the point where free carbon is available to condense onto the
pipe.

Interesting. I had not seen the inside before. Perhaps there is a completely
different explanation for its orientation but that is just about a guarantee
to create black deposits and bubbling. The problem is that in order to
overcome the liquids/droplets problem, the temperature of the tube has to be
much higher or it will sputter droplets which promotes the decomposition. At
the higher temperature you get a lower tube life and decomposition, or at a
lower you get sputtering.

Is anyone else working on boiling liquid fuels for small stoves? Have you
seen a similar layout and found it to work well?