[Stoves] Char vs. fertilizer

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Nov 2 14:29:04 CDT 2011

Great question.

A small amount of plant available nutrients on depleted soils will increase growth of biomass and energy crops. These nutrients are not from fossil source like many inorganic fertilizers.  So I suggest the best means is that organic materials having a high percentage of nutrients are better used to grow more woody plants to be used as fuel.    Charring these materials and we make many nutrients, like P, unavailable and some like K and N go off into the air. Composting these materials further increases the amount of available nutrients by better holding on to the nitrogen and planting may take place immediately -compared to green manures.

Reducing fossil fuels (and inorganic fertilizers) and it becomes more important to make best use of our nutrients. So I suggest composting is still the best means to handle ag residues and use the compost to grow woody fuel crops.

Regards

Frank

Soil Control Lab