[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 15, Issue 5

Geoff Thomas wind at iig.com.au
Wed Nov 2 23:15:49 CDT 2011

On the face of it that argument is fine, but what I have found is that in the wet tropical soils, compost is returned to the atmosphere extremely quickly, ie less than a year, so you have to constantly renew it, whereas with the Bio- char it is virtually permanent.
I guess that is why the Incas etc used Bio char.
Temperate zones may well be better served by compost, it would be good to see some comparative research on it.
Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.