[Stoves] Live-Wall Wood chip Bin

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:05:06 CDT 2011

Dear Alex

I think the fuel feed principles involved will be valuable for the list so I
will answer your couple of queries and leave the rest.

>> Have you tried a 'gripper' other than the weldmesh on the chip-side of
>> the wall?
>Not yet. One option is to make a wedge wall like the wedge floors that use
brute force and move material toward the goal.

I support the idea that loosening it up is the correct approach. I was
trying to think of a wall that was 'fence' only but I have visions of stuff
clinging to it like crazy.

>> If you want to save money and power, do not use a right angle (worm)
drive.
>> They are not very efficient though common and popular.
>What is the efficiency loss?

A work drive is typically less than 50% efficient and an in-line gearbox
with helical gears is in the high 80's. For strength and efficiency use spur
gears but they are noisy. It is pretty easy to get an efficiency: look at
the rating of the motor and see the output torque and speed to calculate a
kW number. If the motor is working at 1/2 load, say, a wormdrive will get
really hot. There are right angle bevel gears for turning 90 degrees but
open space is not your problem. Wormdrives are cheap and nasty. Get a good
motor too, like GEC or Bonfiglioli or Leroy Somer. Lots of N American ones
too.  They don't overheat. There are some terrible Italian ones: souped up
with oversized windings. They overheat.

>>You can happily run a motor up to 6000 RPM so get
>> a 4 pole one and a gearbox to suit your central speed at 60 Hz.
>It is running on 3 phase from a variable frequency drive. Wonderful things
indeed.

Excellent. The latest from Europe are really amazing. I use them on the
diamond mesh making machines with programmed ramping up and down. They put
out the most power from any given motor at 71 HZ in case you needed to know
that. It is about 18% above rated power. The locked rotor current is limited
which is relevant it you have a 'sticky start' device like a Monopump.

>> It looks so good running in slo-mo like that.
>That was fas-mo.

Oops. Yeah, well, you need to loosen, not compact to feed in then!