[Stoves] Vegetable oil or biodiesel?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 00:03:57 CST 2011

Thanks AD

On another list the issue of cold weather and raw oil as a stove fuel came
up and I was thinking that making 'proper biodiesel' might not be necessary,
just heating the oil for a few hours with some caustic soda added. The
purpose is just to break the longer chains down a bit.

What is the simplest (meaning rural micro industry) method of turning raw
oil into a decent fuel? I was surprised to find out from the South African
biodiesel association rep that they toss the shorter chains produced during
this process. They did not realise that bioparaffin was little different
from biodiesel. The point is a stove doesn't care what the mixture is. If it
has short chains they simply add to the ease with which it can be turned
into a gas.

Stove users should not get stuck on definitions of fuel created by the
automobile industry.

+++++++

Dear Crispin,
I think that those oils which have very high viscocity may have to be
converted into biodiesel. An acquaintance of mine makes biodiesel from
animal tallow, because you cannot fill tallow into the fuel tank of a car.
Yours
A.D.Karve