[Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of biochar

vetle.w.cappelen at biomass-stove.no vetle.w.cappelen at biomass-stove.no
Fri Nov 11 13:25:56 CST 2011

Dear Gajin

 I and our NGO Miombo are currently working on a
BIOchar and household energy,  pilot Project with Paal Wendelbos Peko Pe
TLUD 6 liter stove in Zambia.
 The stove produces aprox 25% of
Biochar. which is even better than traditional charcoal kiln.
As we
are revisiting the farmers that are included in this project the result
are much better than the expectations.

The amount of BIOchar
after the flame is put out depends on the material used and how dense it
is.. As for our project we are introducing Maize cobs as fuel so a 6 liter
Peko Pe will be filled with about 0.6 kg of cobs. and then you'll have 150
grams of BIOchar left. with firewood you'll have aprox 275 grams of
BIOchar left.

Here's current status after revisiting farmers 1
week after introductions of the Peko Pe stove and BIOchar in Zambia.

>The farmers found the Peko Pe easy to ignite.
>They
prepared the same amount of food as before.
>They used allot less
time, and fuel for cooking. and where happy they didn't have the smoke
issue as from three stone fire they used before.
>Some of the
farmers had stopped using firewood completely
>Farmers collected
about 2.8 kg of BIOchar  within the first week

All though
this was the first revisit in a very short period. The Peko Pe stove where
accepted for cooking  as well as  BIOchar production.

Either you can have many small scale TLUD stoves and use it fore food
preparing ETC and later collect it, or according to Paal the Peko Pe can
even be made as big as 200 Liter. Then you culd probably use the energy
for other kind of heating and get allot more biochar quickly if that was
purpose. But bigger than that I Don't know about

Best regards

Vetle Wendelbo Cappelen.

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:48:06 +0100
From: bojcajanus at gmail.com
To: stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org
Subject: [Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of
biochar

Dear stovers,

so  far I have been mostly
just following your discussions as to learn as  much as I could, now I
would like to ask you for advice. I hope it is OK  by you.

Just
a few words of introduction: I am a journalist,  marketer and
entrepreneur. This year I have brought the TLUD Champion  stoves from
India to Slovenia and started introducing them as well the  whole idea of
biochar to Slovenian farmers and gardeners through my  blog, articles and
presentations. A few weeks ago I had a presentation  of permaculture,
biochar and the TLUD Champion stove to members of biodynamic society  Ajda
 Goriška; they were very interested in the whole idea, eager to try
it  out, but they all have larger areas of land so biochar, made by a
small  TLUD Biochar stove just is not big enough for  them ... We were
discussing to make a big stove and produce enough  biochar for all of them
and then imply the activated biochar to their  fields. I am searching
through the net to find plans for a larger stove,  I have already seen
some we could try out and we  could make ourselves, but would also be very
grateful for any ideas and  advice! The ideal stove would not only produce
biochar but could be used  for cooking on as well.

 Kind
regards,
 Bojca
--