[Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of biochar

Nathan Lorenz nathan.lorenz at envirofit.org
Sat Nov 12 00:56:18 CST 2011

Sent from Nathan's BlackBerry

Nathan Lorenz
Vice President of Engineering
Ph: +1-970-214-3331
Skype ID: nathan.lorenz
Nathan.Lorenz at EnviroFit.org

-----Original Message-----
From: "Paul S. Anderson" <psanders at ilstu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:13:32
To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves<stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>; <vetle.w.cappelen at biomass-stove.no>
Cc: <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of
 biochar

Dear Gajin and all,

When you make much large volumes of biochar, the amount of heat will
generally be far excessive for any cookstove application.

Therefore, either waste the heat or find some other application.  And
often the large applications (even water heating  or drying) are more
expensive to build than the biochar maker.  Tough choices.

Are your associates willing to waste the heat?  and what is the supply
of dry biomass?

I agree with the comment by the NGO Miombo, 200 liter barrels are
currently about as large as is convenient unless money and
experimentation are available.

I hope more people make comments.  Be sure to check the biochar
websites for ideas that are not closely linked to stoves.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)