[Stoves] Re looking for a stove design for large amounts of biochar

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 12 07:50:32 CST 2011

Dear Paal and stovers,

Paal is absolutely correct.  Each household produces about 1/3 kg of
biochar each day.  If the biochar yield by weight of the raw fuel is
20%, the biomass needed is 1.66 kg per day.  If 25%, then the biomass
is only 1.33 kg/day.

Less than 2 kg/day represents fuel savings compared with the
inefficient 3-stone and other fires.  AND they are getting the
biochar.  This correctly contradicts the people who say that making
biochar leads to increased cutting of the forests.  Reasons:

1.  The Peko Pe and most other TLUDs keep the fire focused onto the
cooking task.

2.  These micro-gasifier stoves can use many types of biomass, so any
energy-equivalents of cut trees that can be replaced with maize cobs
or ag-waste briquettes also means LESS deforestation.

The Wendelbo project in Zambia with 200,000 rural households is a
major effort that should help the world realize that the TLUD
micro-gasification is a truly significant part of the solution we all
are seeking.

I did NOT say that TLUDs are THE solution.  But it is major.  This
needs to be recognized and implemented in so many more locations.
Stovers, the TLUDs are not a bandwagon.  They are a tidal wave of
benefits.  I hope more will become involved.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)