[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 15, Issue 18

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:56:36 CST 2011

Dear Art

> We conducted CCTs in our Pilot project earlier this year and consistently
achieved 40-50% increases in fuel efficiency over their existing open fires.

This is very valuable information - actual savings from the field. Is the
saving evident in ordinary cooking? That is, does the CCT number appear on a
daily basis?

Another useful piece of information is whether or not people perform other
heating tasks like boiling water (sterilising) more or bath water. Sometimes
people would like to have more energy but simply can't afford the time or
money and an improved stove liberates them from their energy poverty, at
least a bit.

In Lesotho Highland schools we found that improved stoves did not save a lot
of fuel at some locations because they were so short of fuel they were
eating their meals partly cooked! So the benefit was healthier food and
better digestion with the same fuel (all that was available that day).

If we walk into someone's office and propose to spend $1m they want to know
what they are getting for their money. 45% is a great deal of savings, and
in case you did not know, it higher than the average improved stove 'as
installed' after a year of use.

I asked another contributor what sorts of cooking tasks they could
accomplish with a load of 6 litres of maize cobs but have not heard back
yet. Do you have a fuel mass - cooking task relationship you can report
numbers for? For the Peko Pe there is still not much information available
from the field and it would be good if you could submit an article for the
stoves website so others can get a feeling for the size they should build.

Many thanks for your efforts.

Crispin

Dear Paal,
Thank you for once again being the most reasonable voice in these
discussions.
Congratulations on your recent news. Well deserved. By the way, I answered
Bojca off-list.
We are using a TLUD. The Estufa Finca, which owes a great debt to you. It
makes both a great deal of heat and biochar. The great big farm families we
are working with in rural Costa Rica seem to enjoy bot attributes. We
conducted CCTs in our Pilot project earlier this year and consistently
achieved 40-50% increases in fuel efficiency over their existing open fires.
We are starting field trials with biochar and cocao and are looking forward
to doing the same with coffee in the near future.

my best wishes for you sucess
Art Donnelly