[Stoves] TLUD Test with Switchgrass Pellets

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 21:15:29 CST 2011

Crispin and list:

1. I think we are getting closer together. But some differences remain. Before getting into them, is your "grasifier" design now the same as shown 20 months ago at: http://www.bioenergylists.org/en/crispin_25-kw-grasifier
I had not previously read this description. What do you consider the differences from other TLUDs? Yours looks like pretty much like designs we talked about 15 years ago. Stated differently - what have you optimized?
.
2. One main difference we still have is the use of a lid. I think we agree that one would want to use a lid for normal cooking tasks - to achieve higher efficiency. But the formula you are using here gives higher efficiency for higher water evaporation.
I found this report from Aprovecho quite informative on the really high heat losses due to evaporation - and how they can be stifled with a lid:
www. aprovecho .org/lab/pubs/rl/perf-stud/doc/61/raw
I stand by my assertion that if you want to measure/calculate high efficiency using the water boiling test technique you are using, the numbers will look better (higher) without a lid. There are stove operations where you want to remove water from a pot - and one would certainly remove the lid to accomplish that.
Even though we normally would want a lid, I think the test is valuable without a lid in comparing stoves and transfer of heat to the pot. If I want to skew the results in my favor, I would certainly avoid a lid. Same for picking a color of the pot (much smaller effect).
There are parts of your argument on lids I don't follow. But most interesting is this next apparent after-thought comment - which I don't know what to do with:
[It occurs to me that an understanding that the lid coming off would increase the thermal efficiency may be rooted in the error in the WBT3 that calculates an ‘efficiency’ for simmering which is itself a conceptual error. Increasing the evaporation during a simmering test appears to increase the system efficiency which is impossible. It is an artefact of the math error. Any WBT3 efficiency number is incorrect for this reason. Only the high power heating efficiency is valid.]
You also have comments below about influencing the computation using skirts, etc. How does your last sentence improve things. I want to emphasize that my only initial complaint was that your concluding the test gave 22% (now less than 20%) was being terribly unfair to all char-making stoves. This last comment by you is one that needs further exploration by all of us.

Few more inserted comments below [Labeled RWL2] To get at differences in definitions, I have bold-underlined. every use of the term " efficiency"