[Stoves] Marketing good quality stoves

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Nov 21 01:54:16 CST 2011

Cecil,
 I could not agree more. We face the same options in the extension of briquetting technologies. There are about 25 generically different types of presses available on the market today from the $5 dollar Oloo hinge press to really sophisticated hydraulic auto retracing presses and every form of screw, ratchet, lever, jack, crank, mechanism in between. In almost every case, the potential producer consumer  population will choose on a price driven basis.

Price, not quality, is the overriding factor in this market, and it applies to such as solar and all kinds of other technologies as well

In the case of solar power, one could also provide it in more or less the same fashion that electric  power or water services are provided: The buyer would not be buying the panels, batteries, hardware etc,  but rather, they buy the service and support for it plus some sort of connection fee.

Another way around the hurdle might be to provide the technology on a lay-away basis. Nothing new here,
but it can work –perhaps uniquely– on a non cash basis in the sale of briquette training and press equipment by itself and or in conjunction with stoves.

If the seller is also a briquette producer or supplier, they can arrange for the  - trainee- to produce Bqs  as a form of layaway for the press and stove. The bqs are then sold by the trainer and equipment supplier but it is all of course contingent upon having an established local  commercial market for the briquettes--and some degree of trust between the two parties.

In any of these options it is possible to strive for better quality where the hard cash hurdle is "softened".

Just as a non segway...I'd love to see what would happen if we shipped a plane load of used car salesmen to the developing nations to sell stoves: "Now ladies and gentlemen what would it take to get you behind our new TLUDPEKOPEROCKETVESTO model…?"

Richard Stanley
freezing cold in Dar es Salaam, Tz
(just kidding…)