[Stoves] Congratulations to Nancy Hughes for her work with Stove Team International

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:50:13 CST 2011

Dear Stovers,
I think the Rotarians in the U.S. think differently than those in
India. I must have given at least 50 presentations before various
Rotary clubs in India, but have so far failed to get a single cent out
of them for providing improved cookstoves to the poor. At least in
India, the rotary club members are selected professionals, having
their own businesses. So there would be one cloth merhant, one
merchant of pots and pans, one merchant of stationery, one merchant of
building material and so on. The philanthropy of a typical club
generally goes to bettering the living conditions of a nearby village.
So, in the first year, they donate school uniforms to the school
children (the business of the cloth merchant thrives). The next year
they give free text books to the pupils (so the business of the book
merchant makes money). The year after that they decide to renovate the
school building (or the primary health centre), so that the shopkeeper
who sells building material makes money. They thus follow the good old
adage, charity begins at home.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--