[Stoves] sausage maker adaptor for manual briquette presses

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:24:02 CST 2011

Dear Richard,

I believe Brades, the Peracod funded company, uses electric or manual
extruder. The manual one does not cost much I believe, less than 100
dollars.
No high temperature, briquettes are dried in the sun, but a binder from 10
to 20% of the mix.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was mentioning the Peracod website because I
found a lot of good information on how to start a charcoal briquette
project. A few weeks ago, I didn't know anything about charcoal briquettes,
I thought there was everything needed on the website.
But I would like, as a first step, to use another kind of press than the
ones described in the Peracod papers. So I tried to search for manual
presses on the web, easy to build, cheaper.

"The former is for and industry and distribtuion to a wide market area
around it."
That's what I would like to do in the medium to long term, but not for now,
especially if I have to import the press.

"The latter is more for a cottage industry in the pri urba areas to rural
areas. althouth it can survive quite well in  urban neighborhoods / other
concentrated areas as well."
That's more what I am aiming to at the moment. I want to make a pilot
project, then scale-up if it shows potential.

"You go on to say you have already made such a press with 25 cylinders."
I didn't say that. I said I made a small press with 6 "square cylinders",
and found on youtube one with 25 cylinders. Its inventor claims it is the
fastest press there is. I don't know if it's true, I didn't try to build
one. I don't know if he says it is the fastest in terms of unit/hour, or in
terms of kilo or mass/hour. Of course, what is relevant is a press that can
make a lot of kilo or mass per hour. That's what I am looking for. I am also
looking for statistics, like, for example, a table with the production
capacity for each press. In Benin, people measure the quantity of fuel in
terms of mass, it is never weighted.

Is your website www.legacyfound.org/ ? I tried again, it is the first result
Google displayed, but I still couldn't access it ...

I start to picture the plug for sausage briquettes in my head, but I can't
quite figure out everything. I'd be happy to have more info when available,
like images, video, etc.

Now we'd like to sell without middlemen (who are women, most of the time).
We want to keep it small for the coming weeks/months. But I am already
calculating the costs and seeing if it is viable economically on a larger
scale, with middlemen and increased transport costs. We would like to have a
small industry, sooner or later.
No problem for training people, but not for now, since I am a newcomer
myself in the briquette world. I need first to learn how to run a small
production unit. I try to give the recipe for briquettes to people around
me, but they don’t look like they are ready for the hassle ;)

Thanks for the info,

Xavier