[Stoves] Re Looking for sustainable non wood biomass offtake info off Miombo forest

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:35:11 CST 2011

Dear Richard,
agriculture produces a lot of waste biomass without using extra land,
water, fertilizers or efforts. In India, we generate annually about 800
million tonnes of agricultural waste. It contains almost 2.5 times as much
energy as the petroleum that we import every year. The only disadvantage in
the case of agricultural waste is that it is not centrally available but
lies scattered in millions of small farms. If a fair price is offered to
the farmers for this biomass, they transport it at their own cost to a
central processing factory. About 100 factories in Maharashtra State
(India) buy the agricultural waste from farmers and press it into
briquettes. These briquettes burn just like wood. Fuel oil, which is
traditionally used as boiler fuel in the factories, costs about 1 US$ per
litre. The calorific value of the petroleum based fuel oil can be matched
with about 2.5 kg biomass briquettes, which cost only about USCents 30.
Retrofitting furnaces to accept biomass briquettes has grown into a big
business here.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--