[Stoves] Lion Cub Stove and Rocket Barbecue

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Wed Oct 5 19:46:14 CDT 2011

Insulating the combustion area and flue should improve combustion.  If you
have some leftover fiberglass or rockwool batting, you could wrap some
around and run an experiment (don't use the kind encapsulated in plastic).

You may want to experiment with nesting tubes to preheat primary and/or
secondary air, rather than (or, in addition to) adding insulation.

I was going to use lava rock in mine, but it came without the charcoal
grate.  I have noticed that chicken produces a lot of grease and it was
puddling at the bottom of the kettle, then dripping down on the flames (no
serious flareups).  Lava rock would have intercepted most of it.  Also,
because I have no diffuser, the barbecue only works with the lid on,
otherwise the heat escapes up the middle.

I need to resize my stove to fit the opening into the barbecue.  The flow
is being choked now, and I get more smoke than I should.  It is still a
vast improvement over an open fire.

Do you get any backdraft through your feed tube?  Is there a separate
primary air source?

Andrew