[Stoves] FW: Toucan Flair

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun Oct 9 18:21:36 CDT 2011

Dave,

If the TLUD has a fan, it is not so difficult to control the flow of air
through a secondary air pipe.
The one fan forces air through the biomass and through the secondary air
pipe:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/022.jpg
The little fan that I use can also power reactors of a 50 kW output.
The primary air pipe that you see also serves as a handle when one has to
empty the reactor.

The flow of air through the biomass is fixed.
But the flow of air through the secondary air pipe can be constricted more
or less by means of an air nozzle:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/010.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/012.jpg
This sets a ratio between primary and secondary air.
This can vary a lot, depending on the type of biomass being gasified.

Once air mixes with gas, it has characteristics I have never seen before.
When I go to light this mixture as it exits the burner,
all burner holes ignite in an instant in an explosive fashion.
Here you see the secondary air pipe in full view:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/001.jpg
Once I stopped the gasifier to examine the secondary air pipe,
and it was red hot in certain areas.
This means that the secondary air is much hotter than ambient air.

Here you see the secondary air pipe surrounded by the reactor:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/002.jpg
Here you see two new burner designs that I am having fabricated:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/019.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs4/020.jpg
I promote the idea of doing the mixing of air and gas in the burner, not the
reactor.
When it ignites in the reactor, it is too far from the pot or pan being
heated.
Also when it ignites in the reactor, CO2 exits through the burner holes
without giving rise to a flame.

On large gasifiers, I will put two fans:
one for primary air and the other for secondary air.
This will give the operator perfect control of the process.

When the flow of secondary air is sufficient on rice hulls,
the flame is a deep blue right from the beginning of the burn.
On coffee husks, it goes from dirty orange to bluish.
There is still a lot of testing to do in this regard.
I have a hunch that even on woody biomass, it will be possible to get a
bluish flame,
provided the secondary air supply is right.
Here you see a what I call a "bluish" flame:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier/2011-09-29%2010.56.31.jpg
This was on coffee husks which are always full of oil.
Secondary air was supplied in this case through a secondary air pipe,
but it did not pass through a full burner.
The full burner effects a much better mixing.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier
-
Paul A. Olivier PhD