[Stoves] High mass space heating options Re: Rocket Stoveforthe PLACE

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Oct 12 10:15:42 CDT 2011

Dear Paul

This is very interesting indeed... waste rice hulls worth about $US283 per tonne for its gas energy plus biochar value!

It is also very interesting that the Vietnamese will pay about $70 for about 1/3 tonne of biochar plus ash. Say $US200 per tonne What are the specific and tangible advantages that the Vietnamese see with rice hull biochar, such that its price of $200 per tonne is economically justifiable? Hopefully, what they use to justify the use of biochar can be used to justify the greater use of biochar throughout the rest of the world.

Are there any specific advantages to Rice Hull biochar that would not be present in biochars from other agricultural wastes that are not as high in ash? Alternatively, is it possible that other biochar, with much less silica ash content, would be even more economically justifiable?

Thanks!

Kevin