[Stoves] burning rice husk / IR measurements

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 06:52:56 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 12 October 2011 21:31:26 Frank Shields wrote:

> From what I have read from people on this list;
> It seems the IR does not actually measure temperature (like expanding
> mercury) but interprets UV waves(?) coming off an object.

IR doesn't measure anything, it's just one part of the electromagnetic
spectrum. An IR thermometer will attempt to collect all IR int receives
and interpret that into a readout, this will be an approximation of the
surface temperature of the object radiating in the IR range.

> Different
> colors and texture can change those waves so the instrument must be
> adjusted to estimate the real temperature of the object / surface the
> waves are coming off.

Sort of, all objects will emit a spectrum of wavelengths depending on
their temperature above absolute zero. Planck's law defines this spectrum
but you will see that it is a spread of frequencies, so the IR
thermometer has to collate this spread and use this to interpret the
temperature.

On top of that not all bodies at the same temperature are as efficient at
emitting radiation, a shining reflection surface not only reflects
incident radiation ( which is why you can see your face in a mirror) but
they won't emit much either, so will always look cooler than their real
surface temperature to an IR thermometer. That is why perfectly radiating
bodies are referred to as black bodies, they both absorb all radiation
that strikes them and radiate all the wavelengths that Planck's law
predicts at a power rate determined by the fourth power of their absolute
temperature. All bodies are also receiving radiation from the hot bodies
all around them.

> In a box of constant temperature everything in that box is at that
> temperature. If the readings differ depending on color-texture we
> should be able to adjust the IR detector to the right temperature. Then
> next time we have the IR adjustment set to that surface and we can
> measure the temperature without the accurate bi-metal thermocouple in
> place. Is that how you look at it?

Yes, one thing that helps us is that most surfaces discolour and lose
their shine with age and temperature, so most household object settle to
emitting a percentage of the radiation which they would emit as a perfect
black body and this is often around 95% of black body radiation at lower
( <500 Kelvin). When balancing radiators in a hydronic heating system it
is normal to stick a strip of thin dark, matt tape to a surface to make
comparisons.

> I purchased the IR detector you suggested. I like that it comes with a
> probe reading also.
>
> But adjusting the IR reading with emissivity dial to match the probe is
> difficult. Perhaps because when the door is open one must be fast!

And flames are notoriously difficult to measure, you are normally
measuring  a surface they are heating.