[Stoves] Don't waste the heat, grow red wigglers and glorious greens

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 23:03:12 CDT 2011

Dear Gerrie

Before dumping a lot of hot charcoal into water I think it would be good to
read through the discussion held on this group a few years ago with Yuri
(search for 'Yuri" on the stoves website) because it can explode under
certain circumstances.

He reads these group messages via a translating programme (into Russian). I
am not very familiar with the topic so if he does not respond to this please
look over the old conversation which was wide ranging.

Water poured onto a large pile of hot charcoal can manufacture hydrogen and
the pile can explode. It is not common, but not unknown.

It may be that it does not create a danger if the water greatly exceeds the
charcoal mass.

+++++++

Thanks for your input.  The boiler supplies a closed loop radiant floor
Kytec pipe heat distribution system filled with food grade glychol.  A
conveyor lifts wood waste into a hopper and three multistage augers transfer
the biomass chips into the furnace where the fuel is concentrated and fans
blow in air and the fire reaches high temperatures heating the steel plates
and water circulating pipes.  It is inside the boiler chamber (second stage
of the furnace) that large logs are converted to biochar when the air is
shut off.  I had not thought about dunking it and given this set up
currently this would be hot and difficult.  I am transitioning this property
with the business to a multistakeholder cooperative and I am looking for
members. G

Regards, Gerrie Baker, aka The Worm Lady