[Stoves] Don't waste the heat, grow red wigglers and glorious greens

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 05:32:29 CDT 2011

On Sunday 16 October 2011 05:03:12 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> Water poured onto a large pile of hot charcoal can manufacture hydrogen
> and the pile can explode. It is not common, but not unknown.

Which is a lot different from dunking the char into water.

freshly made char is hygroscopic. it absorbs water vapour from the air and
this is adsorbed on the char matrix, essentially condensing it from the
vapour state to liquid, in so doing it releases all the latent heat into
the pile and a hotspot can develop and ignite the pile.

The release of hydrogen from sprinkling water onto char is s simple
disassociating at low temperature? I don't recall Yury's post and I do
read all he posts. From experience of putting out barbecues and the
almost explosive generation of steam I would not advocate pouring small
volumes of water onto hot char.

Perhaps Alex will comment because I think his method of augering the hot
char into water also utilised the water as an air seal to prevent air
entering that part of the combustion chamber.

AJH