[Stoves] why does coffee husk biochar smell like urine?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:08:43 CDT 2011

Dear Tom

Really looking forward to being able to see char test results.

We have really struggled to get a lab to do a proper ultimate analysis (even
SGS) and express the results in the way we biomass burners expect. The
infection of the methods by coal standards is evident everywhere.

++++++

Crispin,

If you can keep peak temperatures below about 750 C then you can keep a
larger fraction of the K in the char. We have done this with staged
combustion in a variety of straw burners. It is now done commercially in
large scale straw burning power plants in Denmark, Spain and the UK.

That's the beauty of biochar from crop residues - low peak temperature
conversion to retain nutrients - but we have a wide variety of reactors,
including stove types, to deal with. It would be interesting to see an
elemental analysis of the principal ash components of the fuel and char from
the TLUDs to see what elements are retained. I haven't seen a proximate,
ultimate, Btu (HHV) and ash elemental analysis of any TLUD fuel.

Tom