[Stoves] why does coffee husk biochar smell like urine?

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun Oct 16 20:13:12 CDT 2011

Tom,

When rice hulls are subjected to heat:

*... there is virtually no change in size or shape of the particle until
~ 200°C. This is followed by a rapid shrinkage between
200 and 400°C. Above 400°C, the particle shrinks at a slow
rate and stops shrinking after ~ 800°C...*

*Further heating to 1500°C did not show any change in
the particle shape or size. This suggests that the residue is
structurally strong and stable. This phenomenon appears
to be unique to rice husk and some other straws. However,
most other biomass fuels do not exhibit this behaviour.
The particle finally softened and melted at temperatures
above 1525°C...*

*It appears that silica forms molecular bonds with carbon,
which are not easily broken at the gasification temperatures.
Reactions leading to the formation of silicon carbide
from silica involve very high temperatures (above
2500°C) and gasification temperatures are not high enough
for such reactions to take place.

In view of these results, we suggest that full carbon
conversion in rice husk may not be achievable. However,
this does not diminish the importance of rice husk as a
fuel source because of its widespread and large availability
at affordable prices.*

On the one hand, we see (previous email) that  oxides such as K2O
 fuse with silica on the surface of the rice husk char
and forms glassy or amorphous phases, preventing the completion of the
reaction.
This places an upper limit on the gasification process.
What happens in this fusion?
Is potassium silicate formed?

On the other hand, we see that silica forms molecular bonds with carbon,
and that this also inhibits full carbon conversion.
Even at 1,525 C carbon is not gasified. At this temperature carbon and
silica melt.

Thanks.
Paul

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com>wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I found this which confirms what you are saying:
>
> *The melting point of SiO2 is 1410–1610°C, while that of
> K2O and Na2O is 350 and 1275°C respectively. It has
> been suggested that at higher temperatures, the low-melting
> oxides fuse with silica on the surface of the rice husk
> char and form glassy or amorphous phases, preventing the
> completion of reaction. This places an upper limit on local
> temperature of the gasifier.
> *
> Thanks.
> Paul
>

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com>wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> The coffee husk is composed of several layers that are liberated from one
>> another in the dry milling process.
>> There are some thin soft layers and some thicker hard layers.
>> It would be easy to take measurements with a caliper,
>> and compare them to the thickness of the rice hull.
>>
>> If silica reacts with potassium, do we end up with potassium silicate ( K
>> 2SiO3)?
>> Potassium Silicate
>>
>> A liquid source of potassium and silica. Silica is often a forgotten
>> element and has many benefits in the plant including strengthening cell
>> walls.
>> Benefits
>>
>>    - Biological Farmers of Australia (BFA) Registered Product 456AI.
>>    - Improves photosynthesis and raises brix in all plants.
>>    - Reduces the negative effects of excess aluminum, sodium and
>>    manganese.
>>    Improves plant growth, lifting yield and quality.
>>    - Enhances reproduction by improving pollination and increasing pollen
>>    fertility.
>>    - Produces an armour-like resilient layer in the outer cell wall
>>    resulting in:
>>    - Reduced lodging.
>>    - Decreased plant palatability.
>>    - Less fungal colonisation sites.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Paul
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul,****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> The coffee husks I have seen are paper thin. Is your fuel like that or
>>> thicker? If it is think then it will “flash” pyrolyze.  The rice husks would
>>> provide structure and could dampen the evolution or loss of nutrients. We
>>> have seen silica absorb potassium in the gas stream. So I don’t think that
>>> you can assume that you will lose it all even if your raw fuel reaches peak
>>> temperatures of 800-1000 C. The char probablu sees 800-900C. ****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Tom****
>>>
>>> ** **