[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Oct 27 14:40:26 CDT 2011

Ron,

If I apply ash from gasification or combustion of biomass to soils for its liming effect why shouldn’t I get credit for the “biochar” fraction of recalcitrant carbon that it may contain even if it is a low percentage? It may not function agronomically like high carbon char but at the it is still recalcitrant carbon. I should only get credit for what I put in the ground. It shouldn’t it matter if it is mostly ash or mostly carbon.  I would only get credit for the carbon. In this respect biomass boilers have been sequestering carbon in the form of biochar for a very long time.

If IBI wants to tag different qualities of biochar by as having 50% ash, 25% ash, etc. then it should do so.  The “biochar” in ash may be low but it is still biochar.

Tom