[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:25:55 CDT 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011 11:56:43 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> Dear Andrew
>
> " I don't think this carbon can count as recalcitrant as it will be
> gassed off as CO2 in acid conditions."
>
> Can you put a number to this or is it just a matter of time if the soil
> is growing, say, pine trees?

Sorry I cannot Crispin, but don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't expect this
carbonate to be a big part of low temperature chars, I was referring to
when the char is reheated in a retort to a higher temperature for
analysis.

Of course carbonates exist for long periods in alkaline soils and the sea,
which at the moment is barely alkaline.

AJH