[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:49:07 CDT 2011

Dear Dr AD

My question remains: Why would charring it first do anything except speed up
access to ash?

Shall I re-phrase it?

Thanks
Crispin

+++++++

Dear Crispin and stovers,
biomass added to the soil serves the soil micro-organisms as a source of
organic carbon. By feeding on it, they multiply their numbers. The microbial
population density in the soil is positively correlated with soil fertility,
because when they die, the minerals sequestered in their cells become
available to the green plants.
Yours
A.D.Karve