[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri Oct 28 11:45:46 CDT 2011

Tom,

My main disagreement is the term Fixed Carbon and that it means the total
weigh DAF where it should be a measure of carbon in that fraction. I will
need to get over that.

The IBI has some good test methods that I am now using. Measure pH, salts,
etc on diluted samples are a few I have changed to. Methods for metal are
acid digest and is what I have been doing along with most others. The CEC I
would like to change to an AOAC procedure for peat. And the butane activity
is left out. Going to iodine. I have been doing 450 deg for calcining temp
but now raised it to their 600 deg as that is where I have found the butane
activity is highest (600 to 650 deg C) for most biochar when plotting
curves. But the loss in weight seems to stabilize at ~450 deg C. I was
thinking if activity was not that important the lower temperature is all
that is required.

They use a C/H ratio to determine if the biomass is sufficiently charred
where I was measuring loss in weight after re-charring at 450 deg C. My
procedure has some real problems and was looking for other ideas. I think
theirs may be better but still we need to keep looking as I am not sure it
will weed out tars that would be removed in my procedure and different
feedstocks may end up with different C/H ratios even when fully charred. So
on it goes.

I was looking into a TGA to do the testing but after sending in samples to
Leco I was not real happy with the results. This can determine moisture then
switch over to nitrogen atm and char at predetermined temperature then add
air and ash at predetermined temperature all in one unite and cycle. This
should work well. I had them char in nitrogen a sample at different
temperatures thinking I would get a value that leveled off at 450 deg C as
what I have found in my pipe system. But my pipe system seems to work
better. Not sure if air was in their system when they ran it after drying or
if biomass does change in weight more than I found over temperature
differences with my pipes.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields