[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Oct 28 13:50:13 CDT 2011

Crispin, Frank,

Apart from fraud, it is nice to have a general indication of how much of the
fuel will convert to a gas before burning and how much would, in theory,
remain as char. IN practice you oxidize part of he "fixed" carbon as well.

In carbonization the volatile carbon is a useful indicator of the extent of
carbonization. We look for volatile carbon to be less than 20% for most
applications. That does not mean that all biochar needs to be less than 20%
volatile carbon. Other measures of labile carbon would be helpful.

For biochar applications it would be useful to know how much of the carbon
is likely to be consumed by organisms and will thereby have a demand on
nitrogen or other nutrients. I have assumes that is the volatile fraction.
How much char C do you include in calculating a C:N ration for composting,
for example?  If you intend to deliver a char to a uses that will supply
it's own N how much to you have to add? How much char from stoves can you
estimate will have a demand on plant nutrients if used as biochar?

Tom