[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 14:32:05 CDT 2011

Stoves list:

Three comments.

First that this stoves list isn't the right one for this dialog on Biochar. There is a lot going on at the moment at the sister Biochar lists.

Second - Paul has hit the nail on the head about the relationship between Biochar and (usually) a small amount of ash. Biochar impacts soils in many other (still being explored) ways - including pH, CEC, home for microbes, retained nutrients, capturing N2O and methane, retaining moisture, improving crop yields etc. Note AD below has talked only about biomass - not Biochar - as relates to microbes. Biochar generally adds a lot to root mass - which is (I believe) the main source of food for the hugely important microbe and fungal population. Many photographs around for how root systems seek out and attach to char. Where above ground productivity is improving, the same or more is true underground.

Third - many of us are pushing for char so as to remove excess atmospheric carbon. Anyone able to suggest a more cost-effective way to do that?

Ron