[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:38:49 CDT 2011

On Monday 31 October 2011 20:01:02 Tom Miles wrote:
> If I am taking char from a TLUD and adding it to cooking scraps for
> compost do I ignore the carbon in the char when calculating the Carbon
> to Nitrogen ratio?

That's an interesting one because we know the char contains both labile
and recalcitrant carbon. The bugs that compost the scraps need labile
carbon to respire and nitrogen to make amino acids. Intuitively I'd guess
one would ignore the fixed or recalcitrant part of the char but am also
interested in Frank's opinion.

AJH