[Stoves] New US Patent law change

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 11:55:40 CDT 2011

In a message dated 9/9/2011 12:13:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
crispinpigott at gmail.com writes:

DD: Dan Dimiduk comments

Dear Jan
That is a very interesting  point. The usual problem with that is it really
relies as a strategy for  success on the public (and competitors) remaining
 ignorant.
Garth Foxcroft used to invent  things that were probably going to be
discovered by someone in the field  sooner or later, and not having the money to
patent everything he thought of,  would make detailed notes and get it date
stamped somehow (not that old one  about posting yourself a letter, much
better, with a lawyer). When the  solution was inevitably achieved by someone
else, he would wait until they  developed the market a bit – perhaps two
years. Then he would show up with his  ‘prior art’ folder and say, “You know,
your patent (rendering exclusivity) is  not really valid but I can be
convinced to keep quiet about  it.”
I understand that the tactic  now falls away. The avowed purpose of the
change in the law is to speed up  invention and commerce. It might do that I
guess.

DD : I have just picked up on this conversation because I've been busy
getting ready to move the business. Last night I was shocked when I heard the
President mention patent law changes. If what you say is true then we are
back  to using AK - 47's to defend our patent rights. This to me is an even
worse  system because it throws all the power into the hands of the patent
office,  those who can hire the most expensive lawyers and file the most paper.
    That means that while I develop a project, that I  need to post a guard
or be a guard so no one breaks into my facility and steals  a look at my
work before I file the patent. Maybe booby traps and land mines  will be ok if
they kill or capture the thief for disposal before he gets away.  Some
projects need years even decades to improve to make them successful. Under  this
new system, an inventor must constantly update his patents as the work
progresses. The companies like Halliburton that make a living filing as many
patents as possible on everything will prosper. I see few upsides to this
law.
    What am I missing here? What happened to prior art  being king? Let's
just ditch the whole patent office or ignore it and the  lawsuits that
follow. This upgraded patent process does even more to kill the  small inventors
it was designed to protect.  AK -47's and hit men will take  care of nasty
infringement suits. Law of the jungle will prevail. Personally,  I'm taking up
axe and knife making and throwing, It's quieter ;-) .
    I rest my case,
        Dan Dimiduk