[Stoves] rate of gasification

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 09:36:22 CDT 2011

Selmar,
I use one of these stoves quite often, and at first I used a large
dowel that I could insert into the primary 2" air tube.  The dowel was
cut at an angle, so the air control was based on how far it was
inserted into the tube.
Now, I load the stove with 1¨ hardwood chunks at the bottom, and then
the smaller stuff on top, and finally the primer (to get it going).
About the time the pot nears boiling, I often add 2 or 3 more chunks
at a time.  (Not too much, or it might smoke!)
Also, I since I dump my char into a bucket of water, I sometimes toss
in a hunk of damp charcoal to really slow things down.
I have also added a very small 12 volt fan that I can insert into the
primary air tube if I want a long simmer time with the mixture of
hardwood chunks and char.  Without the fan, it is possible that the
stove might begin to smoke near the end of the burn.
After a long simmer, there is no char left in the stove...only ashes,
if I use the fan.
Another technique is to bring one pot to a boil, then remove it from
the fire and cover it with a towel, while cooking something else on
the stove.  Later, put the first pot back on the stove and let it
simmer until the fuel is consumed.
My wife and I made a video where we use this stove to make 32 Pita
Breads using cast iron pans.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOuoE2KAbQI>
Of course, making the Pita Bread is just the opposite of a long
simmer.  They require lots of heat!
For any sort of covered pot cooking, I recommend a pot shield.  I have
some thin sheets of aluminum I got from a local newspaper printer, and
hold them to size with some paper clips.  The shields keep the wind
from cooling the pot, and also direct the heat upwards along the sides
of the pot.  I cut a notch out of the aluminum so the handle of the
pot sticks out.

--
Ray  Menke