[Stoves] flames touching pot

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Sep 13 19:01:23 CDT 2011

Andrew,

I really appreciate the response you have below.
I note in particular what you write:

*The difficulty with achieving the same with wood gas is that the woodgas
is inherently hot as it meets the air. It would be interesting to cool
the gas from a tlud ( which would mean losing the fuel value of all the
tars present as they would condense) and then using a premixed burner on
the remaining cooled gases.

*I inherited so much from Alexis Belonio and his work in rice hull
gasification.
I like the idea of the two rings of holes in the Belonio burner design.
But Belonio did not direct secondary air onto these two rings of holes,
and this resulted in a long diffusion flame.
When I put a housing around the burner burner
with a horizontal flange to direct air onto the burner holes,
the long diffusion flame shortened into* little blue soldiers*, as you see
in:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0444.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0445.JPG
When enough secondary air is allowed to enter,
the flame is totally blue right from the very beginning of the burn.
But it can easily happen that there is too much secondary air, as you see in
this photo:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0634.JPG
I will make an adjustable air disk at the bottom of the burner housing
to control the amount of secondary air that enters.

However when I switch from rice hulls to coffee husks,
what was an excess of secondary air on rice hulls becomes close to ideal.
This is the bluest flame I have ever obtained on coffee husks:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0646.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0652.JPG
If I turn the flame any higher than what you see in these two pictures,
smoke is produced.
But I can turn the flame height down to less than 10 mm, without
extinguishing the flame.
*
*You write:*
One obvious exception here is those gasifier stoves, as promoted by Alex
Belonio and REAP, that seem to be simple yet have a premixed blue flame.

*This is not really a premix flame.*
*But secondary air* is so dispersed along the periphery of the burner
*that it looks like a premix flame.
I did not get a good premix look until I added the burner housing and the
horizontal flange.*

*You write:*
A "proper" gasifier operates at 1100C and the producer gas exits at over
850C,

*I think that the Belonio gasifier is a true gasifier.
Alexis said that his unit operates in the range of 1000C.
I think that he is right, because when lighting is subdued,
the outside of the reactor glows red hot at that point where gasification is
taking place.
Do you know at what temperature stainless steel turns red?
This claim that I make of true gasification puts me in gentle conflict with
Ron Larson.
Ron says that I should not use the word *gasifier *but *pyrolizer*.
*
so all the tarry compounds are reacted out to the simple gases, CO
and H2 which then can be burned in a blue  premixed or diffuse flame but
simple stoves don't reach these temperatures, so there must be something
special about rice husks that allows the offgas to burn without glowing
sooty particles.
*
Note that at the beginning of the burn on rice hulls in a Belonio gasifier,
the flame is not fully blue.
It only turns fully blue about half-way down the reactor.
But if the secondary air is correctly supplied to the burner,
the gas burns blue right from the very beginning.
*
*You write*:
All that I can think is that the husk pyrolyses so
rapidly that there is little opportunity for secondary compounds to form
and the offgas consists of simple compounds and true gases. My other
thought is that the high silica content in the husks similarly acts to
produce simple pyrolysis compounds and gases.*

Air rises up through the rice hulls in the reactor in a uniform manner.
Rice hulls are uniform in size, shape and moisture content.
They are thin and have a large surface area.
In the rice hull, lignin and silica are bonded in a special way,
and this supposedly makes them difficult to combust.
Also, 2.1% to 6.0% of the *rice hull* consists of a waxy biopolyester called
cutin,
which might affect the speed at which the hull gasifies.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD