[Stoves] flames touching pot

Alex English english at kingston.net
Tue Sep 13 21:59:40 CDT 2011

>> The question is why the yellow flame produces soot , but not the blue
>> one ?

> The difficulty with achieving the same with wood gas is that the woodgas
> is inherently hot as it meets the air. It would be interesting to cool
> the gas from a tlud ( which would mean losing the fuel value of all the
> tars present as they would condense) and then using a premixed burner on
> the remaining cooled gases.

We've been here before....

The blue ones tend to be well oxygenated (mixed)or even too high in
"excess air" from an efficiency point of view. I expect there are some
additional interesting  details for ag residues when it comes to
chemical species and flame colour.

I have been able to get an all blue flame with wood pellets in a TLUD
using my double chimney set up. It focuses the pryolysis gasses into a 2
inch diameter chimney and then adds "secondary" air (probably at least
100% excess) to premix just before it widens to 4-6 inches and burns,
blue. They haven't been the lowest CO/CO2 flames I've tested.

  Hard to get a good picture, except at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAwTnezVc8

Alex English