[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:39:31 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,
it is generally grasses and cereals that are heavy feeders of silica.
I don't think that the forest trees need silica in appreciable
quantities. So adding rock powder to the forest may be increasing the
availability of all the essential minerals, not just silica. I used to
know a German organic farmer, who applied powdered basalt to his
field. He claimed that this powder provided his crop with phosphorus.
I also know of an Indian agronomist who says that the seedling nursery
should be supplied with ash of rice husk, because through it the rice
seedlings get the silica. He claimed that such seedlings grew
healthier than control seedlings growing in a bed of the native soil,
not provided with rice husk ash. ;farmers in the rice growing areas
always grow the seedlings in a bed which was first covered with a
layer of dry leaves and then burned. The farmers always claim that
seedlings raised on such beds grew more vigorously than seedlings
grown on ordinary soil. This could be a biochar effect, but the
agricultural textbooks claim that this practice sterilizes the soil
and rids it of weed seeds.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--