[Stoves] Briquette ignition in a Vesto Junior

Rok Oblak rok.stoves at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 02:52:54 CDT 2012

Hi Crispin and stovers,

I've experimented with top-feed briquettes quite a bit and figured out a
few points:
- the gap around the briquette as you've also found out, needs to be there,
around 3-5mm allaround, if not, theres some kind of a choking smoke coming
out at sides and the fire doesn't seem to progress well
- i think its better to have more shorter briquettes than one or two long
ones, as the gap between the briquettes provides an extra air-pocket that
seems to help the fire going - i think its due to cold air escaping too
fast through the briquette making the fire too cold, while the gaps slow
down the process. I couldn't believe what a big difference that was,
especially in side-feed briquette stove. i was mainly all kins of
briquettes, from 3-5cm to 10-12cm, but stayed with around 5-7 cm
- now comparing the top or side-feed, i found quite a few reasons to
proceed with the latter, side feed: when you insert a briquette from the
top on an existing fire, there is a much bigger fluctuation in fire volume,
higher CO emissions and you have to lift the pot while doing it. The major
difference is that with the top feed, the cold briquette mass is instantly
all exposed to the fire, while in side-feed the briquette burns inside-out,
starting through the hole, which gives a much steadier flame volume and way
less smoke and CO emissions, also the briquette is always inserted where
the fire is the coldest - from the side.

Top feed was my first briquette stove in Malawi, with 16cm briquettes outer
diameter and cca 5cm hole. What did work much better than, was keeping the
fire going and manipulating the steady volume with few wood-sticks from
underneath, functioning pretty much the same as the 3-stone fire, which
locals were familiar with. the sticks were there just to regulate the
volume, not using much of them, while the briquette was the main fuel. This
helped a lot also if the briquettes are of worse quality or still a bit
wet. Also it was easier to persuade local people for using briquettes as it
was an easy-learning curve. if the briquettes were good and they acquired
the skill, then they would be able to drop the wood altogether

I haven't gone in this direction yet, but i'm sure that with some
air-supply regulations, it would be possible to improve the top-fed stove
as well!

I would be happy to hear about how the locals are satisfied with the stove
you're posting about and if the fire volume fluctuations is not a big
problem for them! Would be also great if you could post some photos of the
whole stove body

Regards,

--
*Rok Oblak, MAA *