[Stoves] material processing for briquettes few tips ontechnique

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Aug 7 21:47:00 CDT 2012

Anybody with experience in rural meso american agriculture out there who can tell us if its slaked or unslaked lime that would most likely be in use there ?
Richard

On Aug 7, 2012, at 2:35 PM, ajheggie at gmail.com wrote:

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:42:17 -0300, Kevin wrote:

> Very interesting possible explanation for why "spent agricultural lime"
> helps with the anaerobic retting process!
>
> While Ca(OH)2, or "Hydrated lime" can have a pH as high as  about 12.5, and
> is indeed very caustic, CaCO3 or "Limestone", "agriculture lime, "land
> lime", has a pH in the range of about 8, which is not very caustic at all

Yes Kevin I was thinking this was burnt limestone, CaO which had been
slaked to Ca(OH)2 and then used in a process before being used for the
retting. Here in UK fine chalk CaCO3  is used to lime fields in where
it is available locally ( often settled out from borehole water), but
in areas to the west it was derived from burnt limestone. Unless
Richard can test the pH I cannot speculate further. Slaked lime was
added to wheat and barley straw to make it more digestible.

AJH