[Stoves] Revisitng the pine needle issue

Phil Hughes nicafyl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:43:21 CDT 2012

Or illegal to gather. (Clearly another detail I left out in the post.) In
1991, Nicaragua created national Reserves. I happen to live in one of them.
The way this was done was large areas of privately owned land were included
into the reserve. Restrictions were placed on land use but landowners were
compensated by replacing a property tax with a "management fee" that the
government pays the landowners. (The tax and the fee are both very small
but it does seem to make sense.)

One of the restrictions is that you cannot cut a tree over 100cm in
diameter without a permit. As you might expect, most people ignore that
law. My thinking is that rather than stepped up enforcement (which is
virtually impossible and just creates hostilities), it seems like the right
time to introduce some "solutions". In some parts of the reserve, including
where I am, pine needles present a real fire danger. For example, about a
year ago, 9 hectares burned on the property just north of us. Had there not
been a road separating the properties or had the wind been stronger the
fire would have continued on to our property.

Thus, it seems like a good chance to address fire danger, illegal logging
and inefficient cook stoves all together in a fashion that is a win for
all. I am not anything more than a "creative Gringo" here (composting
toilets are my other "project") but if I can come up with something which
is accepted than there are NGOs that would probably be willing to run with
the idea.

The right solution has the local acceptance issue as well as how practical
something is. My advantage is that I live here, I know the people and I see
their transportation options. For many, transportation means walking 2-10km
to get to the closest road. While someone external (and that could include
the government) could come in, study the situation and come up with an
approach, I am here.

To take but one possibility, I can get a TLUD, feed it pine needles and if
it works, show my neighbor. A week later, 100 people will know about it. If
it gets accepted it is something easy to carry/deliver by horse. Building
an enclosure with adobe uses existing skills and so on.

nicafyl at gmail.com