[Stoves] char information book by

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 23:14:18 CDT 2012

Crispin etal

I guess you are correct - although my brief excursion into Wiki material leaves me somewhat confused on oxygen content. (As you said) hydrogen content in the fuels also makes a big difference.
One wiki source on this is:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adiabatic-flame-temperature-d_996.html

I learned there are big difference when calculatng with air (numbers Rehder reported) vs oxygen as the oxidizer. Smaller differences when the value is measured at constant pressure or constant volume.

I think a more important parameter for stove work is the heat of combustion. The kJ/kg value for methane (CH4) is more than twice that for methanol (CH3OH). The extra oxygen for methanol is doing nothing for cookstove fuel - as measured by weight. But methanol has the (slightly) higher AFT .

I should have also mentioned that this book does a pretty good job of explaining why the AFT is never realized in practice in real hardware - showing in several examples where the energy (and temperature) is lost. Bigger systems can reach higher temperatures.

Re computation, I don't think this is in the book at all - but my guess is that he knew how to do it. You can find free computer programs to calculate these, using Google.

Ron