[Stoves] African Christians Organization Network receives support from the Great Energy Challenge

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Fri Aug 24 11:42:01 CDT 2012

Crispin, Thanks for that news.

A few words of context here may help to enrich Salim's already encouraging story.
When we first communicated with Salim in Dec 2010 about his interest in briquette making from Hyacinth, based on our work in Malawi in the late 90's and his initial training by one of the original Kenyan trainers, he was made aware of the work of Alphonse Okuku, Isaiah Maobe, Francis and Mary Kavita, the late Charles Onyando, Vicky Akello and several others already active western Kenya and eastern Uganda.

Its good to see that he is progressing well but it would be even better to see his recognition of the work of the many others in Kenya who got him started and who continue to train hundreds of others locally through their own private arrangements, quite  unnoticed by the media.

Chad Lipton is the National geographic representative who is out in east Africa at this time covering a multitude of the Energy Challenge grants they are currently funding.
We will meet up with him in November down in Guatemala where we will be wrapping up the project there with a Training of trainers recruited from amongst the 24 producers we trained this past April.

Like Salim in Western Kenya these producers are undergoing the rigors of refining and marketing their product in the local commercial markets now--a process that is the essential step in our opinion, before one undergoes training as a trainer.

In a word it is all about network and integration of product to local market realities now. It's the only way that stoves and fuels and biota and whomever's god knows what else, are ever going to reach sustain growth of adaptation by the mass populations.

Hasta badaye,

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org