[Stoves] "stove-acceptance" of char-making [TLUD] stoves.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 1 01:07:03 CST 2012

Dear Stovers,

On 11/30/2012 2:06 PM, rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:
> *[RWL4b':  <snip>         I just finished reading the thesis by
> Robert Pendleton Taylor recommended by Jim Jetter yesterday.  He has
> 6-7 different ways to subdivide the stoves universe and none are by
> char character..
>       However, the issue of how to handle char permeates that thesis -
> and I think appropriately.  The char issue raised by Dr.   Taylor
> revolves around "batch" stoves - which is a pretty close match to your
> "climate change" stoves.  I need to emphasize that primary emphasis
> has to be on the "cooking/heating" (not on the char) - or no one will
> use a char-making stove.   I think char-making stoves win the
> stove-acceptance battle hands-down - but there is almost no data to
> prove that.
> *
I agree with Ron on several points:
1.   Almost no data.
2.  TLUD stoves have acceptance by users.
3.  That Ron and I are biased [but correct!!] in our favorable opinions
about char-making stoves.   But we also have some of the longest times
working with them.   Ron started in the 1990s and me in 2001, both with
Tom Reed.

The lack of data on stove acceptance of TLUD stoves is largely because
of so little offer of them to users.   And almost never have they been
offered side by side with other types of stoves.

Four exceptions:
A.  The Oorja TLUD-FA (fan assisted) did 400,000 units in India with BP
funding.   And that stove (with some style updates, etc) is still on the
market by First Energy.   Clearly somebody liked it enough to use it.
However, the Oorja is not designed to make char.  So set that case aside.
B.  Philips is getting into the gasifier stove scene.   Unlikely that
they are doing it without some data on acceptance by users. But no data
from them.
C.  Some models of World Stoves by Nat Mulcahy make char, but again data
on acceptance is not released.

[All three cases above are by for-profit businesses.]

D.  The recently complete (Sept 2012, with Final Report still in Draft
form) Mwoto TLUD-ND (natural draft) by the World Bank BEIA project in
Uganda found that acceptance of that TLUD exceeded the ability of the
tinsmiths to produce units.   That shows some very favorable
acceptance.   As a result of that project, at least three private
companies have been created (Mwoto Factories, Awamu Biomass Energy, and
Pamoja - Uganda) and some independent tinsmiths are continuing to make
TLUD-ND gasifier stoves in Uganda.   These are start-up operations with
minimal funding, but they are progressing and certainly have a positive
attitude about user acceptance.

In summary, Ron's statement of his belief that  :
> *char-making stoves win the stove-acceptance battle hands-down *
remains to be proven or dis-proven.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072