[Stoves] Local economic stimualation

rbtvl at aol.com rbtvl at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 08:00:35 CST 2012

Dear Paal,

I was glad to see your message about local production.    In the Maasai Stoves and Solar Project, we have an efficient stove with chimney to save wood, lessen wood gathering labor, and to get the smoke out of the unventilated homes of the people.   Our stove is made of brick, mortar, and formed steel parts.   We have no problem finding excellent local skilled labor to manufacture the steel parts of the stove, and to fire bricks from local clay sources.   Imported metal bending and cutting machines can be purchased in Dar es Salaam and we have a factory near Arusha which we hope will soon be enlarged.   Village women's teams do the brick work and install the stoves.   Stimulating the local economy, creating jobs, and sharing skills can be an integral part of an improved cookstove effort.  We don't consider it optional.

Robert Lange