[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri Dec 7 13:28:45 CST 2012

Stovers,

Determining the energy of both in-fuel and out flaming mass:

Needed:

30 cm section of 8” well casing

Cone shaped welded to bottom of pipe. Compressed air fitting in center of cone.

5 cm section of 10” well casing (ring) with flat steel top welded on. 2 cm hole drilled in center. This sits loosely on top of pipe.

Spacers (~ 2 cm) on top of flat lid to hold up a pot of water over the center hole.

Calibrating:

Add to the pipe the amount of fuel that is typically in the stove fire box being tested. The wood is oven dried, weight recorded and of known type so to be able to lookup the energy value. Light the fuel (somehow), put a pot of ~5L water on top of the cap, and start the air. Burn until completion. Measure the temperature increase of the water. Take half the fuel and repeat. Take twice the fuel and repeat to plot and calibrate known energy values.

Testing:

Now we can take any fuel, wet or dry and determine the energy value of that fuel used when testing the stove.

We can dump in the burning mass at the end of the WBT, cap, add pot of water and start the air to determine the energy left in the fuel.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.