[Stoves] Simithsonian article Re: Test of Gasfier-stoves (FD and ND) and results.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 8 12:43:15 CST 2012

Dear Otto and all stovers.

Otto's message reminded me of something in that stoves article in the
Simthsonian.   Did you notice that the comments jumped from rocket
stoves with some emissions limitations to stoves with fans?    The
authors (and probably many others) simply jumped past the
micro-gasifiers that are with ND (natural draft).   The authors lamented
the high prices of the stoves with fans (FA = Fan Assisted).   But the
the ND units are already certainly under $20 and we are headed to $10
TLUDs in the near future (based on pricing in Uganda).

So, would everyone please try to remember that there are stoves with
quite clean emissions that do not require fans.    Fans are great, but
while the price is high, let's at least acknowledge the TLUD-ND technology.

BTW, Who was interviewed by the Smithsonian author?   Authors like that
just do not make up stuff.  And they could have put in a single sentence
about ND gasifier stoves if they had been informed.    Someone (maybe
several) in the Stove community failed to acknowledge the existence of
the natural draft TLUDs.    I'd like to think that the lapse was
unintentional, but then what do we say about their ability to represent
all of the Stove Community.

Or maybe TLUD-ND is not yet ready for merit acknowledgement.  If not,
then let's hear why not.

Paul    (in Uganda with TLUD--ND stoves)

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com