[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 22:03:06 CST 2012

Dear Alex

That is a power variation of about 1.5 : 1. If anyone can confirm similar controllability for a ND gasifier we are onto something as a design focal point.

A practical stove for cooking needs sufficient power to bring pots of food to a boil or maintain a stirfry wok on high. The turn down should be about 75% or so allowing foods to be warmed without burning or carmelising everything. An example on the bottom end of the power scale is the Panda paraffin stove which is about 1100 Watts. It can be turned down to about 350. Perhaps Prof Lloyd at CPUT can comment.

Alex, if the boil down entirely to air flow rate through the fuel, it seems there are some practical limits on variability. Could perhaps it be switch from char making to char burning modes (or something in between) in order to give a greater range?  I made a few stoves that will do that but they were burning wood, not pellets.

Regards
Crispin in sunny SA