[Stoves] Infra-red thermometer choice and supply

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:36:51 CST 2012

Dear Damien

The limit on the infrared thermometers is the number of digits in the
display, not the ability to 'see' the hot surface.

If there are only 3 digits it can't display values over >1000.

You really need a K Band thermocouple (up to 1250 or 1300 C). This covers
nearly everything you will ever experience except perhaps melting and
casting iron or steel in which case you need a 1600 C IR tool and
thermocouple.

It is rare for a stove component to exceed 999 C. The flames of course can,
but you can't measure a flame with an IR device - they move around far too
much and in any case you don't know what the emissivity is and can't check
with a standard metal tip.

I suggest that it is unlikely you will need more than a 3 digit device.

Hello,

I work on stove testing in Laos and we want to be able to measure
temperatures in and outside the stove when burning charcoal or wood. I
understand the temperature inside can rise to 900'C. Can it rise above
1000'C? Do you have any knowledge about the requirements of such measuring
tools? Which tool would you advice to purchase and where? I found ETI in UK
(the RayTempT 38) but the max temperature is 1000'C. I also found KIMO (the
Kiray-3000): up to 1850'C.

It may also be useful to monitor the temperature inside the kilns when
producers are firing the clay. I understand the temperature is not supposed
to rise above 1000'C. However this may happen. Any advice for such a
measuring tool?

Thank you!

Damien

ICS project