[Stoves] Infra-red thermometer choice and supply

Steve Taylor steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk
Tue Dec 18 09:58:16 CST 2012

On 18 December 2012 15:31, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Steve****
>
> ** **
>
> I need you to please expand on this for clarity.****
>
> ** **
>
> *>*The spectrum of the emiission changes, and the sensor materials used
> for  low temperature IRs can't cope.
>
> ****
>
> Do you mean the high temp sensors can’t pick up the low temps?

Yes. The sensor material needed for high temperatures isn't the same as the
one for low temperatures, low temperatures are effectively invisible to
them,.

> Or they have a preferred range? The ones I have used cover -50 to 999. The
> ones for house evaluations are about -50 to +250.
>

> >I use precision IR thermometers for operation at between 500 and 2000C,
> they have no sensitivity below 500C. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Very interesting. I have never had my hands on something that goes that
> high. Is the lack of sensitivity because of the need to spread out the
> incoming heat to limit damage to the cell? Interesting problem to solve.**
> **
>
> **

I don't think so. The numerical aperture is quite high, so they don't admit
much energy. Certainlly, where I place mine, 9" from the core of the
furnace, imaged through a 10mm hole, I haven't had a problem there at
least.....

> **
>
> Yours must have 4 digits. Maybe more? How accurate is ‘precision’?****

We have a good, pure graphite target, emissivity pretty damned close to
one. Against type C thermometry, in a reducing atmosphere, at 1800C, we're
close to +/- 25 C, we think.

BEST measurement, in standards lab conditions (NIST, NPL) at these temps is
only +/- 5 deg.