[Stoves] er... wikipedia sez it all yeast or flat beer or coca cola

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:52:12 CST 2012

Here's a reply to Richard Stanley's post on yeast from Joshua Guinto,
the accompanying .pdf was too large to propagate on [stoves] so here
is the post by itself as I cannot shrink a pdf.

AJH

Hi Richard
This is to confirm and reinforce your research on the use of yeast for
decomposition.
We (with the Save the Children, the family participants and the
CabioKid Foundation) have just gone through a two day training on the
production of Natural Fertilizers and Pesticides held in the town of
Hagonoy in province of Bulacan. We did a lot on making natural
fertilzers but the most interesting part of all those is the use of
YEAST for the fermentation of the organic matter.
Yeast, according to the procedure we learned is best in anaerobic
condition. Here is part of the recipe for making fermented plant
jiuice (FFJ)

•       1 kg sweet potato or kangkong leaves

•       1 kg leaves of nitrogen fixing plants

•       1 kg leaves of narra tree

•       1 kg leaves of neem tree

•       4 bote ng beer OR BETTER YET 8 tables spoons YEAST, because
yeast is cheaper

•       4 kilong molasses

•       pail with cover

CabioKid Foundation is working to promote sustainable communities with
permaculture at its core. You may see their website at
www.cabiokid.org.

The procedure went on in providing alternative to YEAST. And that is
the use of INDIGENOUS MICROORGANISMS (IMO). They are the kind of good
fungus that may be harvested from the gardens or the forests. Rice is
cooked in natural fire, in earthen jars, filled into clay jars or
fresh bamboo tubes, covered with brown paper tightly and set in the
forest or garden for 14 days. Good fungus will inoculate the rice.
They are the white or yellow. the black or any other color is a bad
fungus. This fungus (not yet clear to me the scientific name) is
further diluted to molasses or brown sugar to multiply their
population.
This concoction may be used as an alternative to yeast. It may also be
used to speed up composting and then combat bad microorganisms in the
garbage pile, in the toilets and even used in animal feeds to promote
better digestion. Amazingly, animal farms using this concoction are
satisfied in having odorless feces and healthier and heavier animals
even without cleaning their barns.
I suppose the microorganisms in the IMO are the beneficial ones
(probiotics) in the soil such as the azotobacter, tne mychorriza, the
rhizobium, actinomycetes and many more. The concept is to harvest the
beneficial organisms, bring them into a powerful combination and
numbers so they may be able to combat the bad organisms.
This technology (and system) has its roots from South Korea. There is
a debate, however against this coming from the scientists of the
Bureau of Soils... on the grounds of efficacy. The scientists in the
government department wants to unpack the mechanisms why these series
of concoctions are effective. But the procedure is so simple and
doable and effective and low cost that it has now spread in the entire
country among the practitioners of organic/natural farming without
waiting for the laboratory tests of the bureau.

I have enclosed here another document coming from an Alliance of the
organic farmers from the province of Pangasinan  It is my native
language, Pilipino. But you may deduce what it says from the nice
drawings. This document is many years old back and prescribes the use
of beer. But women complain against the cost of beer.... and about men
drinking it ahead of the fermentation project. Recently, yeast came in
the picture... and IMO as fermentation agents.

Hopes this boosts your research. I will soon do this myself during our
training on stoves and holey briquettes in Bulacan sometime in January
2013.

Jed