[Stoves] Stove ID please

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 16:24:34 CST 2012

Dear Richard in NW Obamaland

Agreed. I was looking at the size of the opening at the top and wondering
how it burned. I have been working on the use of flame tubes a-la-BLDD6 and
earlier versions where the fire is enclosed in a fairly small round channel.

A couple of weeks ago I tried installing a 57mm I.D. flame tube in a
horizontal draft two-pot stove (I will add pictures later) to see if the
smoke could be burned post-pot-1. It worked pretty well. I do not yet have
definitive numbers but as a design approach it definitely worked. There are
a number of stoves that have far too much space after the fire, allowing the
smoke and flames to take separate routs to the outlet.

So the stove in question has a huge outlet so if smoke manages to get to a
corner, it has ample space to escape to the margins away from Pot 2. It
seems to me to be worth investigation the % of smoke that can be burned by
keeping the smoke and flames together for a while. There are several stoves
with a suitable layout for this. One is the three-pot stove used in
Indonesia consisting of separate clay round sections with interconnecting
tunnels. If the tunnels were reduced in diameter to the point at which they
became an impediment to gas flow, that would maximise the chance of burning
the smoke. If the flame was entering the tube in the simple experiment I
conducted, the smoke was dramatically reduced showing a reproducible and
consistent effect.

I really like the cast iron grate in the Prakti stove with a thickened front
bar that will resist banging from heavy wood sitting on it.

Crispin,

This seems to be c similar o what was coming from the Dutch TOOL foundation
in (A ' dam)  in the late 70's. They were trying to replicate them thru our
center (AATP) during that time but it never really took on.

Richard Stanley